Ten things you can do to ensure a smooth DNA testing process:
- Familiarize yourself with ASA’s DNA testing requirements.
- First contact the sale, bull test, show, etc., you may participate in to be clear of their DNA requirements.
- Order kits early (at least two months before you need results) by contacting the ASA – DNA@simmgene.comor 406-587-4531. Please follow instructions and have all the required information before calling.
- Use a blood card, TSU, or hair card for collection. NEVER send vials of blood, bags of hair, etc. to the lab.
- Follow the instructions for collection included with your kits. Failure to collect the samples properly may result in samples failing testing- watch for more information in the October issue.
- If you make a mistake, i.e. collect the sample from the wrong animal, etc., do NOT send the sample to the lab. If you do, contact ASA immediately.
- Never send kits to the lab without either ordering them for specific animals or if you have blank kits, always complete paperwork with the DNA department first.
- Send samples to the lab as soon as they are ready. Getting them out the door ensures faster processing and less time for paperwork to get mixed up.
- Check your email for results.
- If you have a question, ASA is happy to help. Please have your membership number and information on the animal you are inquiring about (ASA number, tattoo, etc.).
To learn more about the DNA timeline and see frequently asked questions, visit (Have You Herd?).